Laughter is carbonated holiness."
Anne Lamott (author of Bird by Bird – whose writing makes author & coach, Sue Knight, laugh!)
What gives laughter its power as a coaching tool? We cannot laugh and think at the same time. This is a huge advantage when coaching, as too much thinking often hinders progress! Sue Knight has for many years unpacked the strategies and theory of this very powerful approach. This workshop was an opportunity to explore and practice some of these strategies for change.
- The ability to enable us to laugh at our issues changes the way that we experience them astonishingly.
- Laughter is increasingly recognised as a powerful source of healing resources.
- When we laugh something happens in our brain and we release new chemicals into our blood stream.. chemicals that support us to think and experience things differently from before.
This workshop explored using laughter to enhance:
Individual responses to events – showing coaches how to use laughter in ways that are valuable to their work with clients.
Client perspectives – how humour helps them move on from situations.
Organisations - what they can draw from best practice that is valuable in working with groups and teams.
- An understanding of some of the elements of coaching with humour and strategies to use in your work
- The know-how to apply to this approach in practice
- The theoretical background to avoiding the Drama Triangle
- This event carried 7 ICF Continuing Coach Education Units
This unique opportunity offered a chance to…
- Learn to recognise how humour manifests in practitioners and in their clients
- Understand its impact on performance
- Focus on regaining perspective through humour
- Practise helping individuals re-find a sense of humour.
This workshop could also be counted towards a prestigious post-graduate University degree and carried ICF (International Coach Federation) Continuing Coach Education Units (CCEUs) – 7 hours.
Facilitator: Sue Spencer -Knight
Sue Spencer-Knight is an international consultant and author, pioneering the use of NLP for people in business. Her work includes and goes beyond NLP in an aim to support clients to discover unsuspected greatness. Sue works with in-house clients and NLP courses delegates in the UK and abroad to help them to make a positive difference to model excellence, become a success in business, enhance their own organisations and their personal lives. Sue is the author of several books including the international best seller NLP at Work and NLP and Leadership. Other work includes conferences and ‘one to one’ high performance coaching sessions along with a skilled team of trainers. Sue says she subscribes to the values of openness, truth, integrity, trust, learning, generosity, commitment, fun and love and is honoured to have been described as ‘bringing the heart and soul to business’.
Do take a look at our Gallery of photos from the day for a sense of the fun and inspiration enjoyed as part of this Masterclass series.